Notice: Undefined index: action in /home/ on line 2
Best Soy Wax for Candle Making - Totally Green Crafts

Best Soy Wax for Candle Making

Everyone can understand the appeal of a lit candle. Whether you are using them to set the mood in the bedroom or to add some ambiance to your living room, they’re always a welcome addition. Not only do they provide a soft light, but scented candles awaken your other senses too.

Soy candles are much better for you and your health than paraffin or other cheaper candle materials. Paraffin candles release toxic fumes into the air when burnt and can lead to health issues. They may also create lots of soot when they burn. 

Most commercially available candles, such as Yankee candles, are made from paraffin and it can be hard to find soy candles. So why not make your own?

Making your own candles from soy wax means that you can customize the appearance and scent of the candle to suit your personal tastes. Candle making is remarkably easy once you get to grips with the process. 

We have selected a mixture of just wax and some full candle making kits here. If you are just starting out, we recommend purchasing a kit as this will make your life much easier. They contain everything you need to start making your own candles and will come complete with detailed instructions. 

In a hurry?

Our top pick for soy wax is the Hearts & Crafts soy wax and DIY candle making supplies set. This is a 10-pound kit and contains 100 6-inch pre-waxed wicks and 2 centering devices. 

It is the best seller in the candle making kits category on With just under 4,000 consumer reviews and an average rating of 4.5 stars, this is a great way to start your candle making journey.


This kit from Hearts & Crafts contains 464 grade soy wax and costs $32.99. It is 98% soy and the other 2% is plant-based and naturally sourced additives to assist the wax’s set.

This means that your candles will burn cleanly and will not release toxins into the air. These additives are soybean and vegetable oils.

The wax has a melting point of 120 degrees Fahrenheit. It is delivered in a flake form to make the melting process easier and faster. The fragrance load of this wax is 20%. 

The wicks contained in the set are pre-waxed to make the candles burn more consistently and to make the process easier for you.

They are pre-cut to 6 inches and the centering devices included ensure you get the perfect wick position every time. 

The waxes are natural, irritant, and stain-free to ensure they are safe for human handling. Their products are also 100% biodegradable.


  • You get an entire kit of candle making supplies
  • 98% soy
  • Plant-based and natural additives
  • 464 grade soy wax


This wax is from the brand CandleScience. It costs $28.75.

It comes in a 5 pound container, split into 1 pound bags for ease of use.

There is no need for measuring with this wax, as you can simply add 1oz (1 bottle from the CandleScience brand) of fragrance oil per bag of wax.

The wax is 464 grade and 100% soy. This means that spilled wax can easily be cleaned up with just soap and water.

The wax has additives derived from soy to help the set of the candle without compromising its integrity. The wax comes in flake form.

The fragrance load of the wax is 10% and the wax melts at 120 degrees Fahrenheit. The additive allows the candle to set with less frosting upon cooling. 


  • 464 grade soy wax
  • 100% soy
  • Soy-based additives 


  • Wax only, no other supplies


This wax is from the brand Golden Foods and is a 444 grade wax. It weighs 5 pounds and comes in flake form. It costs $20.99 for the pack.

It is 98% soy with some additives to help create a better final product. The wax has a high fragrance load of 15% and melts at 121-125 degrees Fahrenheit.

According to the manufacturer, this is enough wax to make 10 8oz candles, 7 11oz candles, or 4 18oz candles.

We suggest blending this with paraffin wax for the best results. This is because it is prone to frosting when the wax solidifies. 


  • 444 grade soy wax
  • 15% fragrance load
  • 98% soy


  • Only 5 pounds


This wax from the Candlemaker’s Store costs $29.90 for a 10-pound bag.

It is 444 grade wax and is made of 98% soy. The other 2% is a universal soy wax additive to enable the candles to set better. These additives create a smooth and clean surface on the finished candle. 

The wax has a melting point of between 121 and 125 degrees Fahrenheit. The fragrance load is high at 15%. It is ideal for making container candles as the wax is relatively soft. 

If you wish to create wax tarts, you can mix this wax with the 416 soy wax from the same company.

Some people have had issues with the quantity shipped to them, so it is wise to double check this prior to purchasing. 


  • 10 pounds
  • 444 grade soy wax
  • 15% fragrance load


  • 2% universal soy wax additive


This candle making kit is from a company called CozYours. The kit weighs 5 pounds and costs $22.94.

The grade of wax is not specified, but the manufacturer’s state it is close to 444. The kit is 98% soy wax and the other 2% is naturally-sourced and plant-based additives. It is non-toxic and non-GMO.

The melting point of the wax is 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This wax is ideal for use in container or tealight candles, as well as wax melts.

The wax has a fragrance load of 10%, allowing a good fragrance throw when both hot and cold. 

The kit contains 60 45-ply pre-waxed cotton wicks cut to 6 inches. There are also 20 candle wick stickers, a candle wick holder and a scoop to portion out the wax.

This kit comes with 2 free eBooks - Candle Making Guide and DIY hacks. The kit also includes 10 no frosting tips and gives you access to private consultations with candle experts for a month.

With this kit, you can make 50 2oz candles, 19 4oz candles, 12 6oz candles, 9 8oz candles, or 5 16oz candles. 


  • Whole candle making kit
  • 10% fragrance load


  • 5 pounds
  • Not 444 grade, but close to

Best Soy Wax for Candle Making Buying Guide

Type of Candle 

If you are attempting to make pillar candles, you will need to look for a harder wax.

Wax melts tend to require a softer one. If you are not a professional candle maker and are just looking for something to do as a hobby, take this into account.

You should look for a relatively versatile soy wax if you are just starting out. This will allow you to play around with different candle shapes and types.

Soy Wax Grade

All soy waxes are given a numerical grade to represent the quantity of soy wax within your blend. The three most common are 415, 444, and 464.

415 is 100% soy wax and contains no additives, making it the most expensive of the waxes. The only real downside to this is that due to the lack of additives, the finish is not always smooth.

444 can withstand the addition of colors and scents. It has a marginally higher melting point than 464 soy wax. This means it is better suited to candles for hot climates.

464 is the most common soy wax blend and is often used to carry scents. It is the perfect blend to make pillar candles.

Clean Burn

A clean burn means that the candle does not produce black soot as it burns.

This happens when the wax melts and is common in cheaper and lower-quality waxes.

100% soy wax will burn cleanly and leave no residue behind.


Soy wax tends to set with a slightly bumpy surface once it has been burnt.

They often appear to have a semi-matte surface and are opaque in appearance.


Frosting is the name of the small crystal formation that occurs as wax sets.

They tend to form at the top and sides of the wax and have a solely superficial effect.

Soy Content and Additives

Provided the wax has a minimum concentration of 51% soy wax, legally it can be sold as a soy wax blend. Take note of this and the soy content of all waxes you consider as this affects the set and melt of the candle.

Soy waxes usually do not contain additives, but some have things added to alter the purpose of the wax slightly. The most common supplementations of soy wax are paraffin and beeswax as these are much cheaper.

Sometimes additives will improve the quality of the resulting candle. Pillar candles need an additive to make the soy wax solidify harder to work well.

Carcinogen Free

Paraffin contains carcinogens and this can lead to health issues following prolonged exposure.

One such substance is toluene, which can lead to fatigue, numbness, and can even lead to damage of the female reproductive system.

Pure soy wax will not contain carcinogens and are much safer for use within your home.


You can find containers of soy wax ranging from around 1 pound to 50 pounds in weight. Try to choose a quantity suitable for your needs. If you are planning to start a business making candles you will need a lot more than if you are just making one or two.

You can also buy candle making kits that contain everything you need to start your candle making journey. This is a good choice for beginners as everything is contained within one parcel.

You should look for a wax that gives you a good value for money. There is no point making candles that are so expensive to make you price yourself out of the market.

Fragrance Load

It is the amount of fragrance the wax can withhold. A 10% fragrance load means that every kilo of wax can take 100g fragrance.

Generally speaking, the higher the fragrance load the higher the melting point. You tend to add the fragrance oils at around 185 degrees Fahrenheit and pour the wax into the molds at around 160 degrees Fahrenheit.

Fragrance Throw

This is how far the scent of a candle travels within an enclosed space. It is also a measure of how strong the candle’s scent is.

The cold throw is the amount of scent given off by the candle before it has been lit.

The hot throw is the scent given off once the candle has been ignited.

Melting Point

The melting point of wax is important as this is the temperature at which the candle will melt and release the fragrance.

Waxes with a low melting point stick to the candle’s container better and melt to form a level and even surface.

If you are trying to make wax tarts or wax melts, you should look for a wax with a higher melting point. This is because they will retain their shape better and come out of the molds more smoothly. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Which wicks are best for soy candles?

CD Wicks are ideal for soy candles. They are made of cotton, braided flat and intertwined with paper thread. It ensures a consistent burn, even with higher fragrance loads. They are perfect for softer and more fluid natural wax.

ECO Wicks are also made of cotton. They are paper threaded and flat braided. They are coreless but the braiding makes the structure of the wick more solid. It has good burn stability and is suitable for all candle types.

CSN Wicks are produced from reinforced ring spun cotton. This gives the wick a lot of rigidity which means it will stay standing upright in the candle. These wicks are designed for pillar candles as the wick burns consistently with a tighter curl. 

How can I make my candles smell stronger?

Make sure you measure the fragrance quantity on scales rather than by volume. 

Ensure you allow the wax to cool to a temperature of 185 degrees Fahrenheit as this is the optimal temperature for the scent to be added. The wax will bond best to the wax at this temperature. 

Leave the candles to set and cure for at least 3 days, although we suggest leaving for 1-2 weeks if possible. Do not store in direct sunlight or anywhere that is hot as this will affect the set. 

Generally, the wider the diameter of the candle, the stronger the scent. Wick diameter also impacts the fragrance throw. 

How do I choose the correct wick size?

You should initially measure the inner diameter of the container you are using to create your candle. There are many guides online that will help use this information to work out your optimal wick size. 

Within the same brand of wick, the larger numbers will be bigger wicks. This is not translational across brands though - one brand’s 8 may be bigger than another’s 22. 

You should perform a burn test with 3 different wick sizes for each candle. Allow them to cure for 24 hours after pouring and cut the wick to ¼ inch above the surface of the candle. 

Light the candles and allow them to burn for 3-4 hours. Look at the melted pool of wax on the top surface of the candles. 

Perfectly sized wicks will not allow the flame to flicker too much. The pool of wax should reach the exterior edges of the candle and it should be around ¼ to ½ an inch deep. There should not be too much soot produced.

Overly large wicks will give off a large and flickering flame. They are also likely to produce a large amount of smoke and soot. The wick may also inflate at the top and could appear to look like a mushroom. They often will also produce a deep melt pool on the top of the candle. 

Wicks that are too small will have a melt pool that does not reach the edges of the candle. The pool will instead just fall down the center of the candle around the wax and is likely to be small in diameter. This can even lead to the candle flame being extinguished by the liquid wax. 

What wax is used in Yankee candles?

Yankee candles are made from refined paraffin wax with essential oils to scent them. 

Can you put CBD oil in a candle?

Yes, you can. You can also use hemp wicks to give the whole candle a more hemp theme.

Melt your candle as normal and leave to cool to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Add CBD oil at this stage and blend well with the wax. Pour into your mold and allow to harden.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *